B&B Torre in Langa
Visit the Langhe
sleep in the Langhe,
taste the boiled
in the best restaurants
it is hard to resist ... o)
The Castle is just 5 minutes by walk from our B&B
Before starting to visit the surrounding area, our advice is to take a walk and visit the castle of Carrù. The imperial signet of Henry II in 1041 is until nowaday the oldest document and reliable about the castle of Carrù. In fact, despite the brevity of information documentary, "placium et Carrugo cum Castris et capellis ...",it shows a specific reference to the castle, along with the village and the territory belonged to the bishops of Asti. These had enfeoffed to the Lords of Manzano, who held it until 1250, when Carrù was subjected to Mondovi.
Mondovi in ??turn sold it to Peter Bressano and the descendants of this, after a brief period of Angevin rule, kept it until about 1370. Amedeo VI of Savoy, who had extended his control in these areas, invested the Marquis of Ceva of the castle and the territory of Carrù, who kept possession until 1418, when it passed to Louis Costa, treasurer, and lieutenant-general of the Prince of Achaia, then director of Amadeus VIII of Savoy.
The Costa family, earls of Trinita’, Benevagienna, Arignano, Polonghera, owners of several other estates, were lords of Carrù until 1872. In that time, the castle was sold to Curreno, which, in turn, in 1977 , gave it to the cashier and Rural Artisan Carrù, now Bank Maritime Alps, the current owners.
The appearance of the castle is the result of several interventions conducted through the centuries: you can trace the crenellations, the Gothic walled openings, the slots, reflecting the defensive and strategic role in the construction of the medieval period. Subsequent action attributable to 1600 altered the structure, becoming a quiet country house for the vacation of the accounts Costa.
Some interventions in Gothic taste, together with the arrangement of the garden, conducted around the middle of 1800, it completed the physiognomy still riscontrabile.L 'interior contains large rooms, some of which are decorated with floral motifs and mythological allegories, due in part to the second half of 1600 and in part to the first half of 1800, the decor and the rich collection of paintings (among these interesting works of the Piedmont and Genoese school) date back almost entirely to the accommodation of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries of the family Costa.
Among the various areas deserve special attention the "Alcove Room", which houses a wooden arch and painted stucco, a unique example of decorative taste and spectacular Baroque. The excellent projects for reuse of the building by the Bank Alpes Maritimes brought the castle to a complete re-evaluation, again leading hub of culture and history in the making in the area.